Sunday 4 September 2011

September Scotland Tour - Day 1 - Edinburgh

If I remember well, in my last Scotland post from April I said "Watch out Scotland, I'll be back soon". And here I am.

It's Sunday the 4th of September, 5:15pm and I've just arrived in Edinburgh. It was quite a journey again. Coach from Bournemouth to London Victoria, then tube and finally on the train from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh.

The plan for my 5 day Scotland tour is as follows:
2 Nights in Edinburgh. Tonight I'm going to watch the fireworks at the Castle, which is the grand finale of the Edinburgh International Festival. Tomorrow morning I'm off on a boat trip around the Firth of Forth and Inchcolm Island. In the afternoon I'm meeting my friend Cid, who flew in from Toronto, Canada. We'll be staying at Hotel Missoni. What a treat.
Tuesday we'll pick up a hire car and go an a 3 day tour through Scotland. Ticking off Glen Coe, Fort William, Ben Nevis, Loch Ness, several places in the Cairngorms National Park, a Scottish traditional live music event at Ballater before I'll be dropping off Cid in Glasgow on Thursday. I'm then going back to Edinburgh for a night before heading back to Bournemouth on Friday morning.

Along the way I've took lots of pictures. Impressions from the city, people on the street and fireworks of course. In my following posts there will be landscape shots of beautiful Scotland. 

I'm starting with posting photos I took on my wander around Edinburgh on the way to finding a good spot from where to take pictures of the fireworks. 




View of Princess Street Gardens. Scott Monument, Balmoral Hotel, Waverley Bridge and Buildings of the Old town (from l. to r.)


In Edinburgh.

In Edinburgh, looking down Victoria Street and West Bow from Victoria Terrace.

Victoria Street and Victoria Terrace.


Looking up Victoria Street, Edinburgh.



Lost, confused,  tired, overwhelmed? Tourists on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh's Old Town.


Street Entertainer on a break at Biddy Mulligans Pub, Grassmarket.

Love, peace and happiness all around.

The same two guys later that night on the Royal Mile in front of a concave mirror by the Camera Obscura Building.

Mirror, mirror on the wall. 

Me in a concave mirror. Camera Obscura building, Royal Mile.

Me in a concave mirror. Camera Obscura, Royal Mile.










8:30 pm. The crowd is gathering on Princess Street to watch the fireworks.
The Fireworks Concert is the spectacular finale to the Edinburgh International Festival, featuring live music performed by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra. You can expect a dramatic display and an exotic performance, inspired by Asia, Arabia and the East, set against the stunning backdrop of Edinburgh Castle.
More info about the Festival can be found here: http://www.eif.co.uk/festival2012












And here it goes. Edinburgh International Festival Fireworks Finale. Now I must say that that was the first time I ever took pictures of fireworks.... and it was bl*** hard to capture. Still managed to get some ok pictures, I think.

  

















 








The show is over. What an amazing experience. One whole hour watching a fantastic light show and fireworks in sync with beautiful music performed live by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra!!!

10:00 pm. I'm heading back to the Old Town and the Royal Mile Backpacker hostel, where I'll be staying for the night. Here are some more late night snaps taken on my way back home.


St David Street at night with Scott Monument in the centre.




The Royal Mile at night.




I have put together a map of the whole tour which you may find helpful if you are planning a Scotland trip too.

If you've enjoyed this post please feel free to share or forward it.
Or visit my website www.a-picture-a-day.com for more photo galleries.



2 comments:

Fantastic images - I've rarely seen such an evocative collection of images from around Edinburgh. Sometimes I think it's too pretty a city for photography, but you've shown so many different angles. Superb job!

Thank you so much! What a compliment coming from an Edinburgher. I think it's the most fascinating city... so much so that I'm back again for a couple of day mid December :)
Apart from the amazing mix of architecture, the cobbled street, wynds and closes, there is something very special about it... and I still haven't figures out what it is. Maybe that's the attraction.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More